Facebook Questions, Part 1

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Cosmetics Cop Team held a contest asking our Facebook and Twitter fans to suggest what they’d like me to blog about. You can read my response to the winning question here. Actually, all of the questions were really great and challenging so I am blogging brief answers to those requests. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the contest! I loved it!

Brian N.
I’d like to see a blog about where the industry is going to go in the next 10 years and what’s new and exciting on the horizons in terms of research etc.

I’d like to know where it’s going, too. Right now it seems that consumers will buy anything that says “all natural” or “anti-wrinkle” (and people over 50 have more money to spend than any other group). In terms of what will really benefit skin that is yet to be seen.

Brandi L.
Adult acne and struggling with “teenage” like super oily skin in my late 20s. Always hoped I’d be done by now. :(

There is no difference in treating adult acne than teenage acne, and you would still approach your skin-care regimen in the same way. Follow this link to my article on Acne Treatment. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing on your routine!

Sabrina W.
I’d love to see you write more about your products and which are best for Rosacea. You have some information on your website and beautypedia, but not extensive information. So far I’m pleased with my new products.

Here is an article on our website about rosacea that I think will really help you: Rosacea Skin Care Solutions.

Caroline B.
Deceptive product advertising and why we continue to fall for the BS. What specific communications techniques do they use for particular target markets, and how can the consumer be more aware of these deceptive practices?

It’s all deceptive. Period. Why? Because women want to be beautiful and the claims, celebrity endorsements, and advertisements are too seductive to ignore no matter how repetitive and redundant they are. Keep in mind that even the cosmetic companies don’t believe what they advertise or they wouldn’t keep launching new products, making the same claims as the ones they currently sell or sell in other lines they own.

Jenna K.
I would like to see information regarding Oil Cleansing Method. website: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/ On a similar note, I find baby oil removes all traces of my Colorstay foundation, but I am not sure if it is damaging to my acne-prone skin.

There is nothing wrong with using mineral oil to remove makeup. Mineral oil is one of the most benign, gentle ingredients in the world of skin care. There is no research showing cosmetic or pharmaceutical grade mineral oil is a problem for skin.

The website you mention is a bit weird. Again there is nothing wrong with removing makeup with oil, plant oil, or mineral oil, but the reasoning in this article is just odd. For example, one of the points is that oil removes oil and therefore you need to use oil to clean out your pores which contain oil. Think about it, if you have oil on your counter top would you ever try to clean it up with more oil? It would just get worse. It also mentions the need for steam. That is really bad information. Steam can cause fragile surface capillaries to surge with blood and then burst causing redness and spider veins on the face. Plus heat stimulates oil production in the pore.

Bookmark and Share8 Comments until nowBeckyJuly 20th, 2010 (#):

I would love to find a mascara that doesn’t flake! Can you help?

BryanJuly 20th, 2010 (#):

@Becky: We test hundreds of mascaras and it is the rare one that flakes. You may have had the misfortunte of buying older stock. As the mascara “ages”, the formula can begin to dry out. This also happens with daily use, so it’s one more reason to replace your mascara every few months. Two inexpensive favorites that we have found do not flake are Cover Girl Lash Blast (all versions) and Sonia Kashuk Lashify.

Jenna KJuly 21st, 2010 (#):

Thanks for reviewing the website http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com. I really appreciate your take on it. I know it didn’t work for me as I broke out in cystic acne on my chin. Thanks!

Caroline B.July 21st, 2010 (#):

Re Deceptive advertising practices: “It’s all deceptive. Period.” Even from Paula’s Choice? (hmmm…)

BryanJuly 22nd, 2010 (#):

@Caroline: Paulas’ Choice is the exception. Why? Because we do not make false promises and every claim we do make is supported by published research, the sources are right there on the Web site. Quite simply, Paula’s Choice products work as claimed. If any customer is unsatisfied with any product, for any reason, we offer a generous return policy and a Customer Service team that is more than happy to help you find alternative products.

KathleenJuly 23rd, 2010 (#):

Actually, I had requested if Paula could do a review on E.L.F.’s Spf 45 Uva/Uvb Loose Face Powder a while back and haven’t heard anything.

Desiree StordahlJuly 23rd, 2010 (#):

@Kathleen- Thank you for your suggestion. Paula and her Cosmetics Cop Team get thousands of questions and product review requests a month. Although we try to answer as many as possible, with the hundreds of thousands of product out there it just isn’t possible to get to them all. You can find a ton of information on http://www.cosmeticscop.com and http://www.beautypedia.com.

We hope this helps!

OlesyaJuly 25th, 2010 (#):

I’ve never practiced Oil Cleansing Method as described on this site, but I’ve been using all kinds of plant oils to remove make-up for several years now and it works great. I usually follow with rinsing my face with water (not tap water though) or Bioderma micellar solution, and put some macadamia/jojoba/wheat germ oil afterwards if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment